Sunday, December 05, 2010

My Revived Obsession - Lissie

This past June, there was a lot of buzz in the UK of Lissie, a blonde American folk singer. I fell in love with her album Catching a Tiger but was too preoccupied with another blonde singer (Ellie Goulding) and therefore didn't give her album nearly as many listens. I also wrongly assumed she was Jewel version 2.0 but realized there could never be another Jewel!

With her latest single Everywhere I Go, my obession for Lissie has been revived and all in good time as she is playing a gig at the Biltmore Cabaret on December 29, 2010. Her music provides the space many overproduced pop songs of today stifles. I am not saying one genre is better than another (although most people I know could argue about this for hours).

In my current headspace, and in this chaotic Christmas season, Lissie's Catching a Tiger is a melodic escape from the over-excited songs infiltrating our everday lives. Take for example the predictable Christmas classic remixes at the shopping mall. Or the annual charge for commercial hits to take the Christmas #1 single title. (Not since Girls Aloud with their amazing Sound of the Underground have I paid even an ounce of attention to such a race ... Joe McElderry anyone?).

I'm getting sidetracked because now I'm getting excited about Girls Aloud again!

Here is the undeniable hit machine with Sound of the Underground recorded during their Out of Control tour at the O2 Arena in London. And yes, I was present when they filmed this! Who wants to buy this DVD for me for Christmas (I have meant to buy it for ages; this one and the one from their Tangled Up tour.)



And let's not forget the woman of the hour, Lissie:

No comments: